Drama Dept., class of '72 or thereabouts!

These are general discussions for all members.

Drama Dept., class of '72 or thereabouts!

Postby Thespian1972 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:00 pm

:) [/flash]

Hi, anyone there from the GHS Drama dept. under the direction of the incomparable Dorthie Kogelman?

If so, please let me know!

Remember the great times we had in Troupe 1899?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Kathryn
Thespian1972

Class of: 1971

Postby dan mogin » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:12 am

I remember it well ... They talk about how particular teachers or situations can make a differnce in your life, well my experience with DK has always stayed with me. At the risk of sounding corny, she taught me how to work to acheive a goal, how to manage a project and people -- true life lessons-- as well as creativity; an amazing woman at an amazing time & place.

Dan Mogin
dan mogin

Postby Thespian1972 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:42 pm

:D

Hi, Dan. I remember we worked on many productions together. Remember the play called "The Rape of the Belt?" A sort of Greek comedy? We had many scenes together in that play. We had to get special permission to do it at Groveton, but it was being done at other schools as well. Let's hear from other Thespians!

Yes, DK was phenomenal. I think of her so often. I hope others will share memories too of her devotion to the theatre and all her students.

You may have seen from the other discussions that I've just become, at age 48, a first time grandmother! Yes my daughter, who was born in 1976, was married in 2001, and she and her husband just had a beautiful daughter just a few weeks ago, on July 2, 2003. I'm up in Philadelphia visiting for several weeks.
How are you? Ever hear about Dana G. Bob,H. and "Crew" people? Kathryn
Thespian1972

Postby dan mogin » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:09 pm

:D

Hi Kathryn: Wow ... the people and the memories. I had almost completely forgotten the Rape of the Belt, but since you reminded me I recall being thrown around the stage for 2 hours by Richard Edelman (Hercules) who was about 6 foot tall. But, as I recall we also worked until about mid night every night getting the play ready.

Congratulations on being such a young ( and I am sure beautiful) grandma... I am a long way away from that since we satrted so late; I have 2 boys (15 and 13) and a little girl (10), and its a joy every day. I practice law in San Diego so life is busy.

I last saw Bob Harper about 2 years ago. He is President of Worldwide Marketing for Fox Movies ( he was once married to Shari Belafonte) and produced a film "Rookie of the Year", but he has not gone Hollywood -- he looks exactly the same. I also hooked up with Dana Gorman through a mutual firend, Dana is an attorney is a very small town in Kansas; Jeremy Conway is a production designer in NYC (check the credits for Sex & the City). I think Judy Lukens was a crew person -- last I heard she was the Chief of Police in Fairfax County! Emmettt Sigmund retired as a homocide investigator in Nashville or Memphis ... thats about all the Drama folks news I can remember.

Keep up the post -- te play's the thing !
dan mogin

Postby Thespian1972 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:27 pm

Hi, Dan, wonderful to hear from you!

My goodness, three children! Congratulations! And all these attorneys and other savvy professionals from the Drama Dept? Gracious. As a reclusive poet, I feel a bit of an underachiever.

If I had one wish, it would be to see all my Thespian friends again and share photos of children and family. So glad for you with such a big family, how lovely.

One funny memory from the play "Rape of the Belt" for me was that I was constantly in that huge pink towel in so many scenes for some reason. And a big entrance too, with trumpets blaring. I'm sure you fellows had lots of sword fight scenes. I remember trying to catch cat naps between scenes and always needing pitchers of water backstage due to dry throat syndrome and nerves. Happy memories, still!

If anyone wonders what else I've been up to besides becoming a grandmother and being a reclusive poet laureate of Va., I am happy to report I have a literary agent now sending my first novel to publishers. Wish me luck! While waiting to hear, I've written the sequel just to keep my nerves calm, and am into a third one.

Dan, if you hear from Bob and Dana, please say hi for me. My email address at home is FORRESTERBOOKS@aol.com for you and any of our Thespian friends.

I am currently in Philadelphia at another email address, but msgs to above email address will be forwarded.

Again, how lovely to hear from a Groveton friend, especially the Drama Dept.
Wish me luck on my novels being published and if anyone is interested in the movie rights, they're welcome to email me and I'm sure my agent would love to discuss it with them!

Love and congratulations, Kathryn
Thespian1972

Return to GHS Tiger Alumni