Old Groveton and "new" Groveton.

These are general discussions for all members.

Old Groveton and "new" Groveton.

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:51 am

I'm a member of the class of 59 and attended the Groveton HS that was just off Highway 1 near Hybla Valley. I went by there about 20 years ago and saw that it was closed, but recently heard that there is a new Groveton HS. Can anyone fill me in on that history and let me know where the new school is located?

Thanks,

Dave...
Dave

Postby Stephen Wells » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:50 am

Dave,

I graduated in "86" but the Groveton I went to, which is now West Potomac, is off of Quander Rd. I don't know if you are familiar with Bucknell Heights or Belle View Manor. Is kind of in between the two. Rt. 1, turn at the Dixie Pig and keep going down the hill to Quander Rd. Turn left. There you are.
Stephen Wells

Old/new Groveton

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:52 am

Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I checked Mapquest and found that location. The school you attended is not all that far from the first one, maybe a few miles. Except for a brief drivethrough in the 80's, I haven't been there in over 40 years so I doubt that I'd recognize much of anything.

When I started Groveton in 1956, we had just moved from Occoquan (my Dad's family's ancestral home -- since 1750!!), and I found out that the town has been completely overrun by suburbs. I shouldn't be surprised, but it was a bit of a shock to see that Wallace Lynn's general store, where we bought groceries, is now a curio shop.

Dave...
Dave

Postby Stephen Wells » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:04 pm

Dave,

I haven't seen the school in 20 years. I haven't been in Alexandria since about 1990. I reside in Tampa but I still have family in the area. Speaking of Occaquan, I did a lot of fishing out there as a kid. I really miss the area. Too many good times. I appreciate the post, I wish more people would do the same.

Steve
Stephen Wells

Postby alleymb » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:54 pm

Dave,
... to clarify the actual location & history... it's the old "Bryant Intermediate location that was on Quander road. Bryant closed for two years while they built the new Highschool which they opened in the Fall of 76, I think... Then the old Groveton on Popkins lane<?> became Bryant. Those of us who were to go to Bryant were farmed out to various intermediate schools that were feeders into Fort Hunt and Mount Vernon and Hayfield for those two years.

A Bougie
alleymb

larry bougie

Postby bkentw » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:01 pm

Alley,

where's larry these days?

Stormy Weathers
bkentw

Re: Old Groveton and "new" Groveton.

Postby benboerner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:08 pm

It was in the Fall of '76 when we moved to the new Groveton (our junior year). It was a pretty exciting time for those who got to move. My only regret is that we moved to Germany for my Senior year and didn't get to graduate in '78 with all of the great friends I had made there. What truly great memories!!
benboerner

Class of: 1978

Return to GHS Tiger Alumni