[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
James D. Blankenbecler • People & Places • GHS Tiger Alumni • Groveton High School Alumni Association Forums

James D. Blankenbecler

These are general discussions for all members.

James D. Blankenbecler

Postby admin » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:15 pm

A 40-year-old soldier who grew up in Northern Virginia and attended the old Groveton High School was killed Wednesday in Iraq, the Defense Department announced yesterday.

James D. Blankenbecler, a command sergeant major, the highest rank for enlisted personnel in any Army unit, was in a convoy in Samarra that was hit by an explosive device and rocket-propelled grenades, the Pentagon said.

More Info:

DoD News: http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/200 ... -0499.html
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Class of: 1982

This sucks big time....

Postby SiLK1 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:59 pm

SiLK1

Article

Postby Roy_Fredrikson » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:42 pm

Roy_Fredrikson

James D. Blankenbecler

Postby logibear64 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:58 am

I had english and german class with him. A really nice guy. It is a shame that anyone has to die in a war we should have finished in 1991.
However, I am extremely proud as an Army Desert Storm veteran that a former alumni of our school died in honorable service to his country. God bless his memory and his family.

Phil Logan
class of '82

"Let me not mourn for the men who have died fighting, but rather let me be glad that such heroes have lived."

George S. Patton[/quote]
logibear64

Postby admin » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:06 pm

I have attached an image of James Bankenbecler.

Phil Logan emailed the image to me.
Attachments
blankenbecler.jpg
James Blankenbecler - Submitted by Phil Logan
blankenbecler.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 63285 times
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Class of: 1982

Postby asimmons » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:34 pm

I was on my way to work when I heard the news. I was truly sadden by this tragic event. Please extent my deepest sympathies to his wife and children. They will all be in my prayers.

Angie (Moore) Simmons
asimmons

Memorial fund for Jim

Postby melhook » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:18 am

For those that would like to do something in Jim's honor:

A memorial fund has been established for the Blankenbecler children. Contributions can be made to "Memorial Fund for Children of Command Sgt. Maj. James D. Blankenbecler," Fort Hood National Bank, P.O. Box 5000, Fort Hood, TX, 76544.

There is also a service planned for him at West Potomac. They are still waiting for permission from the county to hold it, but are hoping to have it soon and will release info about it shortly.
melhook

CSM James D. Blankenbecler

Postby rsb » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:19 am

I attended Jim's Funeral in Killeen, Texas. Jim died with honor, integrity and a great sense of love and compassion for everyone he met. He rose through the ranks as an enlisted man and made it to the top. His funeral was the most dignified send-off I will ever witness. Jim was promoted to command the 44th Battallion just 5 days before he was ambushed by a rocket propelled grenade. He died living a life that he was commited to with pride. He never let a door go unopened, a sneeze go without a "God Bless", a hand unheld. He took immense pride in mentoring his soldiers. He travelled the world, learning, protecting and loving.

-Scott Bennett

Thanks to all of those whom attended the memorial service at our Groveton HS.
rsb

CSM James Blankenbecler

Postby charles woznak » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:46 pm

CLWoznak
charles woznak

Class of: 1979

Return to GHS Tiger Alumni