[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
David Aiken - Choir • People & Places • Favorite Teachers • Groveton High School Alumni Association Forums

David Aiken - Choir

Talk about those teachers you liked or even those you disliked.

Postby admin » Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:25 pm

I think David Aiken (Choir), definitely had the most profound influence during my high school years.

:spiny:
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Originally posted by richard.mcgregor@sabre.com 19 MAR 2001</span>
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Class of: 1982

Postby admin » Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:27 pm

I have to agree...David Aiken was absolutely my favorite teacher and a great influence.....he encouraged us to follow our dream and made me feel confident in my abilities.....alot of his students have gone on to successful careers in music........I learned alot during my years in choir, not only about music, but about life ...I cherish those memories!  

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Originally posted by pbsalter@aol.com 20 MAR 2001</span>
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby admin » Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:28 pm

I agree with both of you. Until choir I really didn't know what I was good at. I knew that I enjoyed music, but didn't have any idea of how to do anything with my like. Mr. Aikin allowed everyone in his classes to explore music in a very non-threating way. For that I (and my students) will always remember him fondly!

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Originally posted by organist32@hotmail.com 01 AUG 2001</span>
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby charles woznak » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:02 pm

mr. akin retired, and moved out of the groveton aria.  i am sorry to report that a few years ago he was murdered while out walking his dog.  i reember him fondly too.
charles woznak

Class of: 1979

Postby penny82 » Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:45 pm

Was he really murdered? how sad. He was my all time favorite teacher.
penny82

Postby SiLK1 » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:30 am

Mr. Aiken is DEAD?  What a shock!!!!  He was definitely one of my favorite teachers.  Although I never pursued a professional music career, I've never strayed far away from it.

How saddening
SiLK1

Postby Matt Converse 77 » Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:29 am

I'm not sure about Mr. Aiken, but it was Mr Wells, the band director, that was murdered while walking his dog.
Matt Converse 77

Postby SiLK1 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:17 pm

Gosh...we should try to find out.

I'd hate to grieve someone who isn't dead...lol

:thinkerg:
SiLK1

Postby Teamday » Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:27 pm

You all will be happy to hear Mr. A is doing well. I spoke with him just before Christmas.  Yes, it was Mr. Wells who passes away.  Linda LoPrinzi Day
Teamday

Postby sampsonpatricia » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:57 am

Glad to hear he was not murdered. What a gentle soul. How cool to be singing a tune from the 70's at Graduation! Anyone else from class of 1985 still singing?
Patricia Sampson
sampsonpatricia

David Aiken

Postby Weatherman68 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:45 pm

Being in from 1965-68, I went through 3 choral teachers whose names started with A...Anthony (freshman year), Auman (for two years, he was hard of hearing as I recall) and David Aiken. That was my best experience. We sang at the pageant of peace , but my favorie memory was of all state that year, when I got to ride to Charlottesville with him and guest conductor Weston Noble...just the 3 of us...Mr. Aiken was Noble's host for that event.
Weatherman68

Re: David Aiken - Choir

Postby Weatherman68 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 am

And BTW...Weston Noble is in town all fall teaching and directing at Augustana College at age 89. I have talked with him and we plan to get together after an Oct. 30 concert. He does remember me...and David Aiken...because of that ride we had together.
Weatherman68

Re: David Aiken - Choir

Postby Weatherman68 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Meeting went as planned. Weston Noble still does very well as a teacher and director. He is actually 88 for now; will be 80 in November.
Weatherman68

Return to Favorite Teachers